Thursday, August 6, 2009

More Hatchings! And a suprise...





Yesterday when I got home from work, I expected to find 5 new silkies in the incubator. But to my surprise there was 6 and the sixth was white! This brought my total to 7. We moved the chicks to their new home ( Brooder ) and watched as Henrietta, examined her new brothers and sisters. Remember this is the first time shes ever seen a chick, shes been all alone for 3 days ! She wasn't very happy at first, but now they're all getting along. Eating, Pooping, drinking, peeping, and sleeping. Just how they're suppose too. The colorings of these 7 are, 1 partridge, 1 white, 1 black, 4 grey/splash/silver somethings. This was until last night... at around 7 a new partridge was born. (pictured above). You see that giant lump on her head? well turns out its not a lump, its what is called a vaulted skull. A priced accessory among many silkie collectors. What this means is that when shes older she should have a much larger "poof" on her head than the others. :) I woke up this morning to find, 2 more babies with her as well. They were still wet so I don't know there colorings yet. This brings my total to 10 babies now! Whatever am I going to do! :)

No comments:

ShareThis